Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Mellisa

This week's spotlight is on Mellisa.  I originally met Mellisa at the Cleveland 10 Miler and this past weekend I had the opportunity to run with her.  Without further delay I give you the interview portion of Thumbs Up Thursday!!

Jodi:  How long have you been running?
Mellisa:  Wow, I have to use math – I think it all started 2003.


Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Mellisa:  Peer pressure, just kidding. It all started with walking and I felt the need to kick it up a notch.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Mellisa:  My first half marathon was Bonnie Park Spring kick off in 2006. I had done a few other local races but that was by far my longest distance that year.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Mellisa:  By far the half distance, I feel I still need to meet goal of 2:06 or less. The distance is just far enough to keep you challenged and far enough to keep trying to beat your own PR. .

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Mellisa:  It had to be the Full Cleveland Marathon last year. I went into the race strong and prepared thanks to my training buddies/friends Deb and Kim. They kept me accountable and consistent. Not only did I go into the race strong I finished strong physically and emotionally.

Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Mellisa:  Ha-Ha - My first Full marathon in Columbus – I took the distance for granted – in short, it was a long miserable run/race. Oddly enough after finishing, I actually said I would do another one.

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Mellisa:  There are many but anytime that I can finish my races w/my training buddies/friends I’m always proud.

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Mellisa:  Hehe, my fuel belt and my garmin. If I’m missing either one I feel naked, although I did run my first 5K a few weeks ago without my fuel belt and I was fine but I wouldn’t want to do without them on my long training runs.

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Mellisa:  GU – chocolate or vanilla.

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Mellisa:  Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat with a banana.

Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Mellisa:  Besides my boys – my friend Sharon – I love who she is, I love how I feel when I’m with her. She accepts me and understands “me” on my terms and vice versa. She is by far my go to girl. I’m smiling as I type this.

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Mellisa:  Me, Miss Quote Queen of course.
“We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same.”
“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.”

Jodi:  Finish this statement, when I run I feel __________.
Mellisa:  Well that depends on the run, but mostly strong, confident and stress free.

Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Mellisa:  Training for the Chicago Marathon that will take place on October 9, 2011.

Jodi:  Please feel free to add anything else you feel will help others lace up their shoes and get out there and run!
Mellisa:  Whatever your goals or your motivation for lacing up, do it for “you.” Anything less and you will be selling yourself short. The journey should be all about you, the ‘perk” is all the wonderful people you meet along the way and there will be many.

The best motivation always comes from within.
- Michael Johnson

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Mellisa.  Best of luck at the 2011 Chicago Marathon!  Looking forward to running some of Cleveland with you on Sunday!!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Mellisa YOU inpsire ME!!

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same about my garmin and hydration belt! I have run some shorter (3mi or less) runs without it but I still feel a bit naked =)

    ReplyDelete