Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday....Deb

This week's spotlight is on Deb.

I had the pleasure of meeting Deb back in April at the Hermes 10 Miler.  Afterall, she is one of the Cleveland 10 Miler Girls as Dave calls them!   Deb is great and I have had the pleasure to run with her a few times, this past Sunday included!  Without further delay I give you the question and answer portion of Thumbs Up Thursday!!

Jodi:  How long have you been running?
Deb: September 2009


Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Deb:  I walked the OROC 5K in September 2009 and was inspired by all of the runner's. I always wanted to try running, a couple days after the 5K I was at the Y and I started talking to Kimberly Wilton Jenkins about running. The next thing I know we met the next day to run in the Valley. I have been hooked ever since.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Deb:  My first 5K was the Halloween run in Lakewood in October 2009.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Deb:  I prefer the longer distances.

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Deb:  "Running" 9 miles on an ungroomed bridle trail for the Run with your Heart Trail Run - February 13, 2010. It was nothing that I had expected, I had only been running for 4 months and I had never run 9 miles before, let alone in knee deep snow! Was quite an experience..did it again this past year, I guess we are just crazy!


Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Deb:  I really don't have a "bad" race experience. All of the races are different and U have enjoyed each one for a different reason.

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Deb:  The Columbus 1/2 Marathon in October 2010. I signed up through the American Cancer Society Determination. I formed a team, Miles for Mom. My Mom passed away July 8, 2010 from Melanoma Cancer. I ran for her and for all of the other people fighting the horrible disease so they can have another birthday. My Mom passed away 20 days before her 68th birthday.

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Deb:  My Garmin!

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Deb:  GU for the long runs - other than that, lots of water!

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Deb:  Light Muscle Milk (Chocolate, of course!)

Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Deb:  I admire my Dad for taking such great care of my Mom when she was sick. He remained so strong for her and was by her side every second.

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Deb:  "No matter how slow I run, I'm still faster than my couch."  ~Anonymous

Jodi:  Finish this statement, when I run I feel _________.
Deb:  comfort and peace. Running has been my therapy. I am forever grateful for my friends and the hours of counseling out on the trails.


Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Deb:  I have signed up with ACS Determination to run the Chicago Marathon on October 9, 2011. While the training might be tough, I am looking forward to the challenge. My good friend Mellisa Kingery will be running with me. I know with her strength and our determination we will finish strong.

Jodi:  Is there anything else you would like to add?
Deb:  I am so thankful I have met so many wonderful friends through running. It's amazing how one sport can bring us together and do what we enjoy!

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Deb!  Best of luck at the Chicago Marathon!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Deb YOU inspire ME!!

1 comment: