Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Kimberly

This week's spotlight is on Kimberly.  I had the pleasure of meeting Kimberly at the Cleveland 10 Miler a few weeks ago.  She is incredibly kind and has a contagious personality!  You can follow Kimberly's training here.  Without further delay, I give you the question and answer portion of Thumbs Up Thursday!

Jodi:  How long have you been running?
Kimberly:  Since the spring of 2004. Wow, 7 years already! YAY, Me!

Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Kimberly:  My Golden Retreiver, Allie, was getting heavy. Her 'brother' had cancer, and I was focusing on him and his treatments. She wasn't getting the attention she deserved. I thought running together would be a great way for her to loose a few pounds and for us to get some 'girl time' in. Really, what is better than running with your favorite girls? Turns out she hated running. She stopped but I kept going.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Kimberly:  Almost 7 years. My first 5k was 2004, October 4th I think.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Kimberly:  So far 13.1 and under. I think I like them all. Since I don't have a favorite let's just go with the 10 Miler because it is a challenging distance to train for but attainable.

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Kimberly:  Running Surf City Marathon (half) with my husband. It was my first 'long' race and I was so nervous. He stayed with me and encouraged me the entire time.

Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Kimberly:  I can't think of one. My legs just stopped towards the end of Surf City and while it was frustrating it isn't really a bad memory. I do hate the I-have-to-vomit feeling at the end of 5k's but, again, it doesn't really count as a bad memory.

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Kimberly:  Running for Team McKibben this past February. It was the Riverview Winterfest 4 Miler in Michigan. It wasn't my best race or my best time but it was for the best cause. It was a fundraiser for someone I went to high school with. Steven is battling pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed with it just as his wife was starting to win her battle with breast cancer. They have two young children. It just breaks my heart that this family has to go through this and, on top of it, insurance doesn't cover all necessary treatments. Finances shouldn't be a determining factor on whether or not you receive a potentially life saving treatment.

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Kimberly:  Right now I cannot live without my CW-X tights. I've had injuries for the past year and I really think these are helping me.  Can I sneak my Garmin into them and call it one item? Gotta have Garmin.

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Kimberly:  If you mean for energy, my friends are my favorite fuel. They are very inspiring. Otherwise, I'll pick GU Mandarin Orange or GU Blackberry 2x Caffeine energy gels.

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Kimberly:  I'm loving chocolate Muscle Milk light right now. Only 100 calories with 15 grams of whey protein. Plus it comes in a fun little box with a straw.

Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Kimberly:  My husband because he puts up with me :)

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Kimberly:  "Tequila!", Danny Flores. Oh wait, that isn't considered a quote is it? I don't have a favorite quote but here are a couple that I really like:


"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same." -Francesca Reigler


"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." -Henry Ford

Jodi:  Finish this statement, when I run I feel___________.
Kimberly:  Just one ending? It really depends on the run. I have to make it multiple choice. WHEN I run I feel:  nvigorated, happy, miserable, frustrated. Normally it is the first two but if it is a bad run it will be the second two. For sure though, AFTER I run it is always invigorated. A bad run is always better than no run.

Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Kimberly:  Current race goal is the Rite Aid Half. Current running goal is just to stay injury free. I'd like a nice, strong year. Hopefully I'll be ready for speedwork after Rite Aid.

Jodi:  Please feel free to add anything else you feel will help others lace up their shoes and get out there and run!!
Kimberly:  No matter how slow you run, you are still faster than your couch. For the record this in not my quote it is an anonymous quote that I changed slightly. It is true though. Also, when you are on the fence about a workout, just get out there and do it. You will always be glad you did it. You will not always be glad that you didn't. If you don't feel good you can stop but most of the time you will keep going.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Kimberly!  Best of luck at the Rite Aid Half and with staying injury free!!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Kimberly YOU inspire ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment