Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thumbs up Thursday.....Kim

This week's spotlight is on Kim of (Just) Trying is for Little Girls (here). After you read her interview head on over to her blog and say hello!





















Jodi: How long have you been running?
Kim: I ran track and cross country in high school. However, as a grown up I was a “jogger” off and on for years. I have been running half marathons for almost a year now.

Jodi: Why did you start running?
Kim: I turned 40 and went from full time to working part time. In January 2010, I started training for the Eugene Half in May 2010. Since I was “only” working part time, I no longer had an excuse for not training. I also wanted to lose weight and get in shape.

Jodi: How many years have you been racing?
Kim: Except for a few 5ks over the years, almost one year now.

Jodi: What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Kim: The half marathon, definitely. You need to be in great shape to run one, and very few people can do it without training. It’s long enough to be a huge accomplishment, but I am no longer “crippled” for a week after running one.

Jodi: What is your favorite race memory?
Kim: At the You Go Girl Half marathon in Tacoma, WA (September 2010), I got to run with some awesome bloggers/running moms on the Will Run for Ice Cream team. I wanted to run a sub 2 hours. Right before mile 10, I caught up to Tall Mom who was pacing T from Racing with Babes (they were attempting a 1:52). In my running mom, bloggy world, these two were superstars. I didn’t know if I should run behind them and eavesdrop for the last 3 miles or pass them. I also got to watch Tall Mom do a ballerina move around the out and back cone. That was quite funny. I finished with a 1:55:51. It was all around a great race. Here’s the link to my report:
http://23imaginaryfriends.blogspot.com/2010/11/half-marathon-rewind-6-you-go-girl.html

Jodi: What is your least favorite race memory?
Kim: There’s something overwhelming about mile 10, I think. At Eugene in May 2010, I passed a girl hurling in the bushes. At the Seattle Half in November 2010, I passed a guy who was down for the count at mile 10. Luckily, aid workers were rushing to help him. We were in the middle of a forest/park, so that was a tough place to be hurt. Yep, something about Mile 10 in the half…

Jodi: What is your proudest running moment to date?
Kim: I ran the Cascade Half in January 2011. I didn’t train very hard for it. The weather was rainy, and windy and just plain yucky. I snuck in a 4 second (Garmin, the race wasn’t chip timed) PR. I still can’t believe it.

Jodi: What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Kim: I always carry lip balm in the pocket of my running skirt.

Jodi: What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Kim: I have three….gummi bears, Blackberry Gu and Chocolate #9 Gel. I just discovered Chocolate #9, it’s all natural and tastes like chocolate frosting!

Jodi: What is your favorite post race snack?
Kim: Gummi bears. Okay, seriously, a chocolate and strawberry protein shake.

Jodi: Who do you admire most and why?
Kim: I admire and am inspired by running moms. When my daughter (she is 14 now) was in preschool, I could have never, ever run half marathons like so many of them do. My husband calls these mommy bloggers my “imaginary friends”. I love reading and learning from their blogs.

Jodi: Do you have a favorite quote?
Kim: Lately, I keep telling myself, “it’s not IF you are going to workout, it’s WHEN!”

Jodi: Finish this statement, when I run I feel ________.
Kim: strong and powerful.

Jodi: What is your current goal?
Kim: I want to PR (run a sub 1:55) at the Eugene Half in May 2011. It will also be my 12th half marathon in 365 days. I’m a Half Fanatic, and that is one of the goal levels I wanted to achieve.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Kim! Best of luck achieving your goal of a sub 1:55 at Eugene!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Kim YOU inspire ME!!

4 comments: