Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2011 Austin 1/2 Marathon Weekend

Wow..what a weekend! Deb and I arrived in Austin Friday afternoon! We were greeted with 73 degrees and sun...hello Austin!!

We checked into our hotel and headed to the expo to pick up our packets! Once we grabbed our stuff we met Jeni and Joe! If you remember, Joe is the one who created my PR crushing training plan for the Detroit 1/2! It was so awesome to finally meet him! Deb and I spent some time talking to Jeni and Joe about running and the race on Sunday and then we all decided it was time to shop! I have to say that I have always heard great things about Yurbuds but was concerned about having to order them online so when I saw they had a booth at the expo, I went ahead and got fitted. I walked away from the booth with a pink pair and I will tell you right now that they did not move one single inch the entire 13.1 miles!! I love them! After Deb and I purchased the new earbuds we headed over to the One More Mile booth and checked out some car magnets. In the end, I chose two. The first one is pink and it says "I know I run like a girl, now try and keep up". The second one Deb helped me pick out and I went with "26.2 miles..what could possibly go wrong." Definitely very fitting considering I have some unfinished business with a little thing I like to call the Cleveland Marathon! I also ended up buying an Austin Half Marathon Nike running skirt! It was only 8 bucks how could I pass it up? Once we had finished walking around the expo we headed back to the hotel to get ready to meet up some of Deb's high school friends for dinner! We had a great time just talking to everyone. We finally made it back to the hotel around 2 AM and we crashed and didn't get up until 11:00 AM! I couldn't tell you the last time I slept that late and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

Once we got going Saturday morning we met up with Deb's friends again for lunch! The food and company were both great. After lunch we headed to Whole Foods to pick up some food and water for race morning. We also did a little bit of shopping for our kids! Once we walked back to the hotel I started getting stuff ready for Sunday morning. I put my shoe tag on and then I put Deb's on at which point I realized how comical the difference in our shoe sizes was. I immediately took a picture of our shoes and uploaded it to Facebook complete with the caption of "Jodi's shoe vs. Deb's shoe. I'm pretty sure my feet are the size of a barge!" It definitely made for a good laugh and entertaining Facebook exchange!

Deb and I headed out to the Spaghetti Warehouse to put our name in for a table. We knew there would be a wait and we were perfectly fine with that since we were waiting for Nikki to get into town! Deb and I had a drink at Lance Armstrong's bar while we waited for our table. We finished our drink and headed back down to the restaurant and Nikki had arrived! How awesome to be outside in short sleeves in February?
Following dinner we stopped and had another drink and then headed back to the hotel to get some sleep before our 5:30 AM wake up call!
We were up at 5:30 AM and I was downstairs in the Starbucks buying a cup of coffee to go with my breakfast! Everyone got dressed and ready and we headed out for our walk to the start line. It was already 70+ degrees and quite humid! We certainly look happy in this start line photo!

After the singing of The National Anthem we were off! I held steady at sub 9 minute mile pace for most of the race. There were a lot of hills but I had done hill repeat training so I was actually passing people on the inclines! Sometime around mile 8 or so I noticed a blue singlet up ahead of me and I immediately knew it was Brian C. from dailymile so I caught up to him and yelled his name. It was so cool to run into him. In fact we actually hugged on the course which just proves that you know you're a runner when you think nothing of hugging a fellow competitor when you are completely covered in sweat! Brian was looking awesome! We talked while we ran together until the half marathon split off! Of course I thought I was done with the insane hills at this point until I got to just past mile 11 and there was a mountain in front of me! I pretty much said "son of a bee" (cleaned up for the blog!) when I saw that thing. The girl next to me agreed! As we headed up the hill she looked over at me and said we are NOT walking up this hill and I said okay let's go! Up the hill we went, digging as deep as we possibly could and even slowing to 10:45 mile pace but before we knew it we were at the top catching our breath! So if the random runner on the hill happens to be reading this, thank you for the push it was much needed! Just 1.1 miles left and I felt great! I knew I had locked my sub 2 and I was more than happy with that considering the challenging course and weather conditions! It was so humid that my shorts were completely drenched before mile 1 and at one point during the race I was convinced it was raining until the runner next to me pointed out that it was the sweat from my ponytail! As I rounded the final turn to the finish line I tripped but was able to catch myself before hitting the pavement and crossed the line in 1:56:07 (not quite a PR but I will take it) with a smile on my face! I quickly went through the chute and grabbed my medal and shirt and headed back out onto the course to cheer in Nikki and Deb. I was also watching for Joe to finish the marathon! Not too long after I found a place to stand Nikki came flying down the final stretch! She was looking good! After I cheered for Nikki I realized I needed to be on the other side of the course to see Joe's finish! I managed to make it to the other side with no issues. I was standing there for awhile before I realized I was standing next to Jeni! We exchanged a hug and watched for Joe! In the meantime Nikki called and she found her way to where Jeni and I were standing! When we thought Joe would be rounding home there was nobody in sight so I called his wife Dawn to see if he had finished. She said he hadn't yet. Shortly after the phone call, we saw Joe come flying past us! We cheered like crazy and Joe gave us a wink to let us know he had seen us! He crushed it out there! As we waited for Deb, I started to worry because her usual finish time came and went. Finally we saw her come towards the finish line. She looked at me and said "come here please" so I jumped back out on the course and asked her what was going on. She said she didn't feel well at all and asked me to finish with her. Deb is one tough cookie because we ran the final tenth to the finish line! I was so proud of her! Proudly wearing our finisher's medals we headed back to our hotel to get ready for the post race bbq that Joe had organized! Cold beer and bbq have never tasted so good! It was great to meet some many dailymilers!

After we talked to everyone for hours and consumed pretty much every calorie we had burned during the race we headed back towards our hotel and stopped off for chocolate cake and another drink. We all decided we were exhausted and headed back to the hotel!
Nikki was up bright and early for her flight. Deb and I slept a bit longer and got up and packed our things and then headed out for some brunch. Of course we were concerned about our flight getting home since Cleveland was in the middle of an ice/snow storm. Typical Ohio weather! In the end we did make it back home and we were greeted with 16 degrees and tons of snow and ice at which point we wanted to get back on the plane and go right back to Austin!
This morning my legs were even more sore than they were yesterday and I had power issues at work so I chose not to run this morning. I had a 90 minute massage tonight and my legs were feeling better but I decided it was best to listen to my body and take a second rest day. I will be back at it tomorrow as I prepare to pace Dave in a sub 2 hour half marathon on Sunday! Yes, I am running a second 1/2 marathon in as much as 7 days! Of course I also ran a half marathon training run the week before Austin! I guess it will be a three-peat on Sunday!
Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!


  1. Jodi - for you to run sub 2:00:00 on that course on Sunday in those conditions is truly a remarkable feat. Tremendous race, I am so happy for you.

    It was great to have you here in Austin for the race, can't wait to see you again soon! Best to you and thanks for everything!

  2. Agree with Joe! I was out there watching on Sunday, and it wasn't the best weather, but you cranked it out! Way go to, hon!

  3. Way to PR girl! You did awesome out there!!!!! Cleveland doesn't know what's coming! Congrats to all for a well run race!!!

  4. Awesome PR! You had a great race from the sounds of it and an awesome weekend! Congrats!

  5. @Joe- Thanks so much and thank you for everything this weekend! It was so great to finally meet you!
    @Tiffer- Thank you so much! It was certainly tough out there!
    @Morgan- Thanks girl! Looking forward to meeting you in Cleveland. Even though I was a few minutes short of a PR I was thrilled to run sub two in that weather on those hills!!
    @Mallory- Thanks Mallory! It was a great weekend even if I missed my PR by a few minutes!!

  6. Nice work! :) It sounds like you had a fantastic trip and a great race. :)

  7. Great job Jodi! With all those hills that is a great time! And, it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

  8. @Lindsey and Connie- thanks so much! We had a great time!