Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday.....Amanda W


This week's spotlight is on Amanda W of Get to Goal (here). Once you read her interview head on over to her blog and say hello!
Jodi: How long have you been running?
Amanda: My official running started in Sept 2003.

Jodi: Why did you start running?
Amanda: My friend wanted to sign up for a 5k in Sept 2003 for her 30th b-day (I was 24 at the time) and wanted me to join her. My dad had done a few 5k runs when he was in his 30's too.

Jodi: How many years have you been racing?
Amanda: Since September of 2003, so about 7 years.

Jodi: What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Amanda: Right now, I would say the 8k. The Chicago Shamrock Shuffle because it's the first major run of the year in Chicago (usually March or April) and it's a lot of fun. Plus it's long enough to really be a challenge for me!

Jodi: What is your favorite race memory?
Amanda: Finishing my first half marathon. I was overweight (2006 prior to joining weight watchers) and probably weighed 230 lbs. I almost started to cry when I finished because I was so proud of myself.

Jodi: What is your least favorite race memory?
Amanda: Last year when I finished my 4th half marathon. It was the first time I didn't beat my old half marathon time and I missed beating it by a mere 43 seconds!! Better luck this year!

Jodi: What is your proudest running moment to date?
Amanda: Keeping up my running even when my friend stopped running with me.

Jodi: What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Amanda: My headphones. Listening to music really helps me during my runs! But I did just get a garmin forerunner 305 and that will be my new "must have" on my future training runs! (when I figure out how to use it properly!)

Jodi: What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Amanda: Right now I don't fuel much during a run. I just have water or Gatorade at water stations.

Jodi: What is your favorite post race snack?
Amanda: Probably a trail mix or nuts of some kind.

Jodi: Who do you admire most and why?
Amanda: I don't really have one person that I admire most. I take encouragement and get admiration for anyone that goes out there and tries something they want to do even if it might be a challenge!

Jodi: Do you have a favorite quote?
Amanda: Failure is not having the courage to try.

Jodi: Finish this statement, when I run I feel___________.
Amanda: a sense of accomplishment!

Jodi: What is your current goal?
Amanda: To run the Chicago Marathon this year in October. It will be my first full marathon and I'm a little scared! If you have any tips, please share them!

Jodi: Please feel free to add anything else you feel will help others lace up their shoes and get out there and run!!
Amanda: I ran my first run (and my first half marathon) when I was well over 200 lbs. Don't be afraid to try something that you want to do. If it's hard, or you don't succeed the first time, you can always try again! If you want to run, do it! You can run and walk or just walk. The important thing is to try! You can do anything you set your mind to.
Check out Amanda's before and after photos! She has done an amazing job on her weight loss journey!!

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Amanda! Best of luck achieving your goal of completing your first full marathon in October.

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Amanda YOU inspire ME!!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome interview! Kudos to Amanda!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool interview! Amanda congratulations on sticking with it! I'm sure your perseverance will serve you well in marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! And thanks Jodi for letting me answer these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! Amanda, I'm cheering you on. You can do anything you set your mind to. I know you'll do great in your first full marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interview! You are awesome, Amanda! Have fun with marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, awesome pictures!!!! Good for you Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Amanda! The progress from picture to picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete