Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Flo

This week's Thumbs Up Thursday spotlight is on Flo of Girl In Motion (here). After you read her interview head on over to her blog and say hello! She is a great writer and I thoroughly enjoy reading her posts!!

Jodi: How long have you been running?
Flo: 4 years

Jodi: Why did you start running?
Flo: My mom killed herself in 2007 and I needed an outlet to keep my brain occupied, something to focus on. I started exercising to DVDs and a couple months later bought my first pair of running shoes.

Jodi: How many years have you been racing?
Flo: Since the beginning, 4 years. I started with C25K (Couch to 5K), a wonderful run/walk plan that culminates with you being 5k-ready by the end of it, so I did my first 5k that April.

Jodi: What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Flo: I'm not sure yet. I know it's not the marathon and I don't think it's 5ks (though when I did a few over the course of a couple months it became much less painful a race) and I haven't had enough of the "between" distances, though I've done quite a few Halfs. I do enjoy training for Halfs but still, I'm not sure it's my favorite. I wish there were more local 10ks or 10-milers to decide what exactly is my fave distance. :-)

Jodi: What is your favorite race memory?
Flo: I have a ton of great memories, mostly having to do with the people I've met through running so it's really hard to pick a definitive moment, but I will say that finishing the Boston Marathon was a pretty euphoric feeling. I had been dreading the race and decided it would be my last marathon, plus my feet had been hurting for miles so when it was over...heaven. Plus, after all was said and done, I was proud to have done it despite my cynicism over all the Boston hoopla. But don't tell anyone.

Jodi: What is your least favorite race memory?
Flo: Collapsing during a 5k last summer causing me to stay overnight in the hospital. It's terrifying to lose control of your body and at the same time, be completely aware that something bad is happening.

Jodi: What is your proudest running moment to date?
Flo: My first Half marathon right when the horn blew. I totally teared up. I just couldn't believe that I belonged among all those people, doing an actual sport, one that would take me through the streets of my adopted city (Philadelphia) to finally complete what I'd been training weeks for. It blew my mind.

Jodi: What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Flo: House keys. ;-) Sometimes I bring music and although I love my Garmin, I could leave it home if I had to, but if I couldn't get back into my apartment, that would suck.

Jodi: What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Flo: Gels, which is funny because I used to be totally disgusted by them but I've grown to like them just fine.

Jodi: What is your favorite post race snack?
Flo: Whatever they're handing out, bagels are always yummy.

Jodi: Who do you admire most and why?
Flo: I'm a disappointment on this score...I have no idols.

Jodi: Do you have a favorite quote?
Flo: Alas, no, there is no one quote that I love above all. I have a crappy memory though, which might have something to do with it.

Jodi: Finish this statement, when I run I feel___________.
Flo: beautiful

Jodi: What is your current goal?
Flo: To enjoy running without the pressure of achievment. I've been in racing mode since the start but the PRs stopped over a year ago so I'm stepping back from the grind for a bit: no training plan, no major race in store, so that when I'm ready, I'll be hungry to work hard, breath hard and hurt again.

Jodi: Please feel free to add anything else you feel will help others lace up their shoes and get out there and run!!
Flo: Find the passion. This is advice for life, not just for running. Before I started running at age 45, I figured my life was pretty much a downhill descent: my body, my aspirations (what aspirations?), everything, just seemed doomed to get worse since that's what happens when you reach middle-age. I could not have been more wrong. Running gave me a way to reinvent myself and a reason to be excited again. So whether that comes from lacing up your shoes and running or painting the most beautiful landscape or cooking that ultimate meal, find your passion and life will unfold in ways you never imagined.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Flo! Best of luck enjoying running for pleasure!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Flo YOU inspire ME!!

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Flo!!!!!! If I lived in Phillly, I would visit her every.single.day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love Flo, and her blog! Great interview Jodi!

    ReplyDelete