Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Fun Run With My Brother

This weekend we headed to PA for our annual family reunion. Earlier in the week, my brother and I emailed back in forth making a plan for our Sunday run. The plan was for me to meet him at his house this morning at 7:20 a.m. and he would drive us to Mill Creek Park where we would do an eight mile run. If you follow my blog, you know I ran the "worst course ever" 1/2 marathon (here) at this park back in March. You know the one with 19 mountains...errr...hills! On our drive to the park, my brother mentioned that he generally runs ten minute miles. I said that was perfect for me. I generally run between nine and a half and ten minute miles on my long run. We got to the park around 8:00 a.m. and stretched for a few minutes, asked someone to take our "before" picture and then headed out on the trail.

The first mile went by quickly. In fact it was evident in our split of 8:53. I mentioned to my brother that we were running that fast and he told me he felt like we were running ten minute miles. We continued on for the next two miles still coming in under 9:00 each time. As we started mile 4, we approached the hill. My brother tried to tell me that it levels out quickly but I knew all too well from the 1/2 marathon that it just keeps going. We successfully made it to the top (9:22 for mile 4) at which point my brother said how would you like to run that hill more than once. I reminded him that I had in fact run the same steep hills 19 times in the 1/2 marathon!! Our pace seemed to slow after the hill. Mile 5 was our slowest mile all day at 9:55. During the final 3 miles of the run, I realized my brother has some crazy breathing when he runs. It's loud, really loud! I had my ipod on and I could hear him loud and clear. I mentioned it to my brother and he said one of his buddies told him he sounds like Darth Vader when he runs. I have to agree with his buddy. I am pretty sure I was running with Darth Vader today!! This is also when my brother came up with the theory that we run faster when we run with other people. I do suppose sometimes that is the case. It definitely was today. We finished our 8 miles in 1:13:30 (9:11/mile). Not too bad for a Sunday morning "fun" run!

Here we are after 8 miles, still smiling...that has to be a good sign!!

My brother will be coming to Ohio on Friday night to stay with me. We will be running a 5K together on Saturday. I am sure, as always, there will be some sibling rivalry out on that course. My brother will be trying to keep his status as the "family champion". I will be attempting to steal said status. Only time will tell....

Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

5 comments:

  1. Running with your brother - AWESOME!
    My brother inspires me to run too and it's great when I get to run a race with him. He will never slow down enough to run with me though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodi! I would love to be featured as one of your runners. Any Thursday is fine just let me know! :) Oh and I have added you to my list to be featured in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. My e-mail address is wannaberunnergirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney! You have an email!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are able to spend time with your brother while doing something you both love! Good luck in your race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete