Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ambulances, IV's, Medical Bills, and Finish Lines

So as most of you know, I had a DNF at the Cleveland Marathon (here) back in May. It was quite the experience. Here is the quick version!

I went for a fast ride in an ambulance.
Received three IV bags of fluids.
Was hooked up to oxygen.
Was discharged from the ER and sent home.
Fast forward to today. I grabbed the mail after work and imagine my surprise when I got yet another bill for my Cleveland DNF. This bill was different though. It was from the Cleveland EMS for my ambulance ride. In the bill it stated exactly where the ambulance picked me up at and I thought back to the race and felt a little like this picture!

So, I decide to analyze where I was put in the ambulance in relationship to where the finish line was. See, I was wearing a Garmin FR60 with a foot pod and it isn't always accurate. It had consistently been under the course mileage for the entire race. Since I am not the best with maps, I texted a friend and asked for help figuring out how far I really was from the finish line. Imagine my surprise when I was informed that I was .68 miles from this glorious site!
Turns out I made it to mile 25.52 that day in May. For a moment, I was really disappointed and then I realized that I could find a positive from my medical bill. Is it even right to use the words positive and medical bill together? LOL. I realized today that I had run even further than I thought. My body was capable of running 25.52 miles that day and this all just motivates me more to cross the finish line in the 2011 Cleveland Marathon!
Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

5 comments:

  1. Who turns lemons into lemonade? This girl right here! (Points to you) You can do it girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a photo with the tubes up your nose! People always question me when I insist if things ever happen I want pictures. But come on - they can really help a story! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan- Thanks so much for the kind words!!

    Fruitfly- My friend Deb thought to get the picture. She was trying to distract me from the fact that I was in the hospital so I figured why not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using a medical billing company is not only more cost effective than billing in-house, but it's faster, with higher reimbursements, and offers better control due to valuable and useful Practice Management Reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Medical bills are really a pain in us. And we don't even know how to pay them.

    ReplyDelete