Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blisters and Peeling Skin...

So when I got home from Sunday's long run I realized I had developed a blood blister. See, my feet always get really cold when I am running so I chose to wear two pair of socks. I figured I would pick a blister over frostbite...bad idea perhaps! It was the most painful blister I have had in a long time. I planned to just be a rebel and pop it but while at the in-laws for dinner my sister-in-law mentioned that she had a great home remedy for blisters. I took the bait and asked her what she was speaking of. She told me to put clearasil (yes the white zit cream we used in bulk during our akward teenage years) and a band-aid on it and wait 24-48 hours and it would be gone. I admit I had my doubts but I decided to try it and guess what...yep, 24 hours after I applied the home remedy my blister was reduced by over 75% and this morning I have no blister to speak of.

This blister experience got me thinking about home remedies. Last week I had a really bad cold sore and my friend Deb told me to put A&D ointment on it (yes, diaper rash cream) and guess what...it worked...cold sore be gone!! Yesterday I was talking to one of my employees that is an avid hiker and she said her group swears by rubbing Vick's on their feet prior to a hike to prevent blisters.

Now moving on to my peeling skin dilemma. I have incredibly dry skin this time of year. Add in the fact that I need to wear a "ninja" mask when running in the tundra that is Ohio and we end up with a wet mask from breathing/sweating/freezing/melting and in turn the mask rubs the skin on my chin raw. Never in a million years did I think to put Body Glide on my chin but I am thinking I just may have to start. Anyone have other suggestions for this dilemma?

Oh, and sure enough I feel a new cold sore coming out...better bust out the A&D ointment when I get home.

So what home remedies do you have?

Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy! I'm going to remember that if I ever get a blister again. They're no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your blisters go away, soon, too! What a pain they can be! Esh!

    ReplyDelete