Sunday, July 4, 2010

Smiles For Sophie Birthday Bash and Dash 5K Race Report

Headed out to run a 4th of July 5k this morning. This particular 5k tends to be emotional because it is held in memory of 4-year-old Sophie Quayle, who lost her battle with brain cancer, after a valiant fight, on October 6, 2007. Today would have been Sophie's 7th birthday. When we walked to the start line we received a carnation to be placed in Sophie's front yard during the race because part of the course goes right past Sophie's house. As we waited at the red, white, and blue rainbow start line, we sang "Happy Birthday to Sophie in Heaven" and I was brought to tears. This beautiful tribute to Sophie was followed by the singing of The National Anthem and a simple statement of "runner's to your mark, set...go" and we were off.


I felt pretty good for the first mile aside from the heat and the fact that I started to tear up again when I dropped the carnation in Sophie's front yard. I just kept pushing on and thinking about what this race was all about. I was out there supporting a cause and that made me happy. Got to the water stop around the 1 1/2 mile marker and I opted to pour the water on my head. Fortunately, just a few strides later, a little girl and her dad had set up their own "water station" and I was able to get a nice cold drink from them! Hit mile two about ten seconds shy of 15 minutes. As I came out of the development and crossed the street into the park, I started really concentrating on my stride. The timer read off the split at the three mile mark and I knew I could finish under 24:00 so I started my final kick and my ear buds promptly fell out and ended up right next to my knees as can be seen in the photo below.

Fortunately, I successfully made it to the finish line, unharmed, in 23:46. I was shy of a 5k PR by 46 seconds. I finished 5th in my age group. I decided to look up my results from last year and I ran a 26:26 and finished 11th in my age group. What a difference a year makes! We had parked at my mother-in-law's house and walked to the start line so of course we had to walk back after the race. My daughter asked if we could walk past Sophie's house so she could drop off her carnation which is exactly what she is doing in the photo below. I am so proud of her for having such compassion for others at the young age of 7.

I really enjoy this race and plan to continue running it every 4th of July!
Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!



6 comments:

  1. Very bittersweet event for sure. Things like that definitely make you have a better outlook on life (not YOU specifically, but in a general sense). I am glad your community was able to to turn something so awful into something positive. Your daughter learned her compassion for you, I am sure. Great race, too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, that gives me goosebumps. What a wonderful event. Great job on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. This is a race that I would have loved to be apart of... How touching. Running in honor of someone is the best way to go. And with the heat to run that fast, amazing. Keep up inspiring others

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that! You brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi - Just catching up with you after escaping on our final "pre-baby" vacation.

    Such a touching event - one I would have loved to have been a part of. Congratulations on a great time and for making a difference - you are the greatest.

    Best from Austin, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. It was a great race for a great cause. I will be running my next great cuase 5k tomorrow as I am running for Elyria Police officer James Kerstetter who was shot and killed in the line of duty in March 2010. I am sure there will be more tears tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete