Thursday, November 5, 2009

I WAS STRONG TODAY

Today was a scheduled tempo run. Around 11:00 this morning, I realized I had once again forgotten my Ipod. I sent my friend Deb an email asking her if she wanted to bring me my Ipod. My amazing friend Deb brought her Ipod to me so I could use it after work. She rocks!! Thanks again Deb.

When I walked outside today after work, it was starting to sprinkle. I called Deb's cell thinking I would ask her to borrow the treadmill. When the call went to voicemail, I decided I'm not going to be a whimp, I'm going to be strong today and I decided to run outside in the elements on a new route since I was running for a predetermined amount of time and not mileage. It was nice to run a different course. With the new course came hills and plenty of them. I warmed up and ran a nice pace for 12 minutes. After the first 12 minutes, I picked it up and did my tempo part of the workout for the next 12 minutes. At this point, I should have run a 12 minute cool down but I cut it short (7 minute cool down) because the sprinkles were starting to turn into a steady rain. Luckily, I finished right before it started pouring and I (as well as Deb's Ipod) stayed dry!!

When I picked Kaelynn up from school today her latch key teacher asked me these two questions :
  • Why are you still running in this weather?
  • Didn't you do your 1/2 marathon already?

My answer was yes I ran my 1/2 marathon but I'm training for the Cleveland Marathon now. I didn't hesitate or say I'm "considering" training, I said "I AM" training for the Cleveland Marathon to honor and support Deb's 10 year tumor free milestone.

In closing, to quote Melissa Etheridge, "I run for hope, I run to feel, I run for the truth, for all that is real, I run for your mother, your sister, your wife, I run for you and me my friend, I run for life".

No comments:

Post a Comment