Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mathematician...not so much!!

So today I was to run ten 200's. So I figured okay, I am going to be running 2 1/2 miles (ten 200's at interval speed work pace and ten 200's at jog speed for recovery in between). No problem until I walked out of work and it was pouring. I called Deb to see if I could run on her treadmill. I get to Deb's gear up the treadmill and the Ipod and I am off running. So as I'm running I think to myself: "okay .2 on the treadmill is 200 meters". As I'm running the intervals and the miles keep going up, I start questioning the .2 theory. I finally get to the end of the 10th speed interval and look at the mileage on the treadmill and see 4.1 miles. I finish the work out with a .4 mile cool down for a total of 4.5 miles today. At this point, I ask Deb if .2 on the treadmill is 200 meters. She is great at math so she figures out quickly that .2 is closer to 400 meters than 200 meters. Turns out I did 320 meter intervals. I am certainly no mathematician but I did have an outstanding speed workout today! Turns out I was an overachiever and didn't even know it. I'll take it but next time, I will ask Deb to calculate the distance for me before I start the workout. Thanks again for letting me borrow the treadmill Deb...you are a lifesaver!!

No comments:

Post a Comment