Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Turkey Dash 5K

I have registered for the Turkey Dash 5K that takes place on Thanksgiving morning. The race benefits the Karen P. Nakon Breast Cancer Foundation (www.nakonfoundation.com). I have decided to follow the Advanced 5k running program put out by Hal Higdon. The goal I am working toward is breaking my PR 5k (24:46) and possibly placing in my age group. I haven't won a medal (aside from my finisher's medals at the 1/2 Marathons this year) since high school. I figure it's worth a shot. After all, I "jogged" the Skeleton 5k last weekend and placed 5th in my age group. Of course I am most excited about getting to see friends come together for a common goal on Thanksgiving morning. Many people in my life have been affected by breast cancer and I always like to help out in anyway I can to raise money and awareness.

With all that said, I need to get back on track. I haven't run since Thursday. My Thursday run was a tempo run. It was not a good run at all. I can't blame it on lack of Ipod since I remembered it. I can't blame it on the weather as it was beautiful out. I guess I can just chalk it up to a bad day or to the fact that I had a pretty bad headache by 8:00 Thursday night. Yesterday was a scheduled day off and I was grateful for that. Today I was supposed to run 5 miles but the headache was still lingering this morning and it was raining steadily. I thought about the quote by Peter Maher: "Running is a big question mark that is there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?" For the first time in a very long time I chose to be a wimp today. Sometimes choosing to be a wimp makes the most sense when you aren't feeling up to par. I certainly don't want to be miserable and sick and miss an entire week of training.

Here's hoping I can get back on track tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone who is going to be running a Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment