Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Kim

This week's spotlight is on Kim from Life in the Twin Lane (here).  Once you read her interview head on over to her blog and introduce yourself!!

Jodi:  How long have you been running?

Kim:  I have been running off and on most of my life, but really starting getting into the crazy running world about four years ago.

Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Kim:  At first it was a way to help me manage the anxiety that came along with quitting smoking, and then I immediately liked the challenge of going faster and farther.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Kim:  My first race was May of 2007 - the Soleburner 5k in Appleton, WI. I now have a few 5ks and half marathons that I try to do every year, and love trying new races.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Kim:  I can't decide! For the past few years, I've said that I like half marathons, but I also love the thrill of the speed and the twenty something minutes of hell that comes with a 5k.
Kim receving a tropy at a Veteran's Day 5K in 2008

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Kim:  Ahh, this a tough one - there are so many great memories. In 2008, I ran the Oshkosh half marathon - my first. It was cold and sleeting, and there weren't many runners or spectators. I remember being about 11 miles on a beautiful trail through the park, grinning ear to ear and being so proud of myself for running that far. I felt on top of the world.

Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Kim:  Hands down - being at mile nine or ten of the Chicago Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon this summer. Every muscle in my legs burned and my stomach just started heaving. I broke out in a cold sweat and goosebumps, and it was the first time I ever thought about quitting a race. I later found out I was running on a femoral stress fracture, and I think that breakdown was my body's way of telling me to stop and go sit on the couch.
Kim and Rachel (Running in Real Life) after the 2011 Rock 'N Roll Chicago Half Marathon

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Kim:  Another tough question! This one's hard because while I have definitely had moments where I feel proud of myself, it's been so long since I've set a PR that I feel good about or run longer than I ever have that it's difficult to remember. I guess I'll say when I crossed the finish line at the Team Hailey 5k in April of 2010 - it was four weeks after I had my twins, and I was proud that I ran the whole thing - even though my newly giant boobs were absolutely killing me the entire time. :)

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Kim:  Water. I never run without water, and it's got to be in my Camelbak handheld. When you squeeze it, this things shoots water at about a million miles per hour. It's awesome.

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Kim:  Black Cherry Shot Bloks! I've been known to snack on them if I'm hungry and I find a half-eaten package in my car. Delightful.

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Kim:  Vanilla almond milk with chocolate whey protein. I've Pavloved myself into craving it towards the end of every run.

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Kim:  I do. "Face piles of trials with smiles, it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. Keep on thinking free." It's from my favorite Moody Blues album, and it's been my favorite since I was a little girl.

Jodi:  Finish this statement: When I run I feel _________.
Kim:  Strong and accomplished. Driven.

Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Kim:  My mom. Aside from being super smart and fun to be around, she started the Couch to 5k program at 58 years old, and just completed her second half marathon. She inspires so many people, but she'd never admit it.
Kim with her beautiful mother!!

Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Kim:  Ugh. Can you hear my giant sigh through the computer screen? My goal is to be smart and safe as I continue this rehab process so my femur heals stronger than ever. Then I'd like to remain injury free and just be able to run again. And... maybe set some new PRs. And run Ragnar. And maybe a marathon. :)

Jodi:  Please feel free to add anything that will motivate others to lace up their shoes and get out there and run!
Kim:  If you've been injured, you know how difficult it is emotionally and mentally to be taken out of running. Remember that fire that burns when all you want is to run, and get out there and enjoy feeling your heart pumping and the wind on your face. Be thankful for the gift your body is giving you.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Kim!  Bewst of luck achieving your mainly goals and healing well!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Kim YOU inspire ME!!

1 comment:

  1. Kim's blog is such a great find! She is hillarious, heartfelt and a she has spent so much rehab time cheering on other runners. I wanna be more like Kim when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete