Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Falon

This week's spotlight is on Falon of Falon Does Marathon (here).  Once you read her interview head on over to her blog and say hello.

Jodi:  How long have you been running?
Falon:  Since May 2010. I still remember my very first effort, I think it took a week to run a mile without stopping to walk. I started with a group of friends also hoping to get into running and I was the only one that fell in love and stuck with it.


Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Falon:  Well as a non-runner, it seemed RIDICULOUSLY hard. Then, as I started it was easy to measure progress and improve. Also, running is really a solo effort. Yes, crowds and friends help, but I love that I am the only one responsible for my successes and failures.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Falon:  My first race ever, a 5k, was July 4, 2010. It is addicting for sure.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Falon:  I love the half marathon, but truth be told I'm probably best in the 8-10k range. I can usually catch a pretty fierce 2nd wind around mile 4 and run my guts out to the finish.

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Falon:  Wow I have so many amazing memories from various races and few of them have to do with crossing the finish line. When I saw my mom and my husband at mile 16 in Chicago. Hi-fiving a cute baby in Chinatown. Feeling strong enough to encourage other runners on the course. The first racing milestone of breaking a 30 minute 5k.
Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Falon:  Anytime I have done a race where I expected to place and didn't. I hate competing in that way- it really sours the experience and it is a dumb way to run.

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Falon:  Finishing the Chicago freakin' Marathon. Not in the time or the temperature that I wanted, but I did it. I ran strong and took it all in and I didn't let myself down in any way.

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Falon:  Just one? I have several essential items. Sunglasses (if there is a 1% chance of the sun appearing- I have to have them), Contact Lenses (who can run in eye glasses?), Moving Comfort "Fiona" Bra, Garmin Forerunner 305. I will not walk out the door without those items. I feel like running is hard enough... I have to have the things I love.

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Falon:  I love Shot Blocks. Black Cherry and Strawberry have been my favorites so far. I also like the Double Espresso Cliff Shot when I can stomach the sweet. The caffeine always adds a nice zinnnngggg! Truth be told I wish race eating was not necessary because it is always SO unappealing at the time.

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Falon:  Summer races- WATERMELON! Also, PIZZA and if that is wrong... I don't wanna be right.

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Falon:  I don't really have a favorite running quote. I do have a mantra though. It was spray painted under a bridge along a trail I regularly ran. "More Action, More Passion" I try to repeat that to myself when times get tough.
Jodi:  Finish this statement: When I run a feel ________.
Falon:  untouchable and I believe that the world is still a place for dreams and possibilities.


Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Falon:  Wowza. I don't really have one person I supremely admire. I admire all runners as they strive for faster times, stronger runs and bigger dreams. I also admire all the runner bloggers posting to help and motivate the entire running community! I admire my mother, she is such a kind hearted person that genuinely likes most people and she doesn't get bogged down in whiny crap very often.

Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Falon:  Great question, I am still trying to define my goals for 2012 as I look beyond the marathon. Do I want to improve speed or strive for distance? Yes, they usually come as a set, but where should my focus be? Hmmm right now all I know is that I'm going to dedicate the winter to improving overall strength, muscle tone and flexibility. I am hoping to become a more balanced athlete which will hopefully improve my running. I'd also like to become more regular with my mileage so I'm flirting with the 1,000 miles in 2012 goal. It scares and excites me, all at the same time.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Falon!  Best of luck achieving all of your awesome goals!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Falon YOU inspire ME!!

3 comments:

  1. Falon is awesome! What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Falon! You are a HUGE inspiration to me! Also thanks for pointing me to another blog to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Falon! I think we're running accessories soul mates- I also must have my Fiona, Black Cherry Shotbloks, and Garmin 305. Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete