Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Here We Go Again...

I officially started Columbus Marathon training this week and speaking of training plans I need to thank Joe for creating yet another training plan for me!

"Coach" Joe and I after the Austin Livestrong Marathon
Here's how it has been going so far.

Monday
~Cross training day~
Last marathon training cycle I didn't do much cross training.  My goal is to make sure to include it during this cycle so I was off to the gym bright and early for spin class.  Two of my neighbors joined me for class which was awesome!  One just so happens to be a spin instructor so I had asked her if she would come to a couple different classes and let me know which she thinks would work best for me.  I would go to her class but alas I am not a member where she teaches.  Perhaps we just need to set up spin bikes in her basement!!  The music could have been better but overall it was a good class.

Tuesday
~4 miles at marathon pace~
My anticipated marathon pace at the moment is right around 9:40-9:43/mile.  I had a bit of a hard time keeping my marathon pace yesterday.  The problem was I was running too fast.  Ever since the marathon I have just been running "whatever pace feels right."  Of course this kind of backfired yesterday as my "whatever pace feels right" had been faster than anticipated marathon pace.  I know I will get into my pace groove eventually, it just may take a few weeks.

Wednesday
~6/2 tempo run~
The plan for today was to be a 2 mile warm-up, followed by 2 tempo miles between 8:40-8:50, and finishing up with a 2 mile cool-down. I was supposed to run the warm-up and cool down portion around 10:15-10:20. Of course due to my recent "whatever feels right pace", I had a hard time slowing down to 10:15-10:20. I do have to say I was impressed with my tempo miles at 8:48 and 8:46 respectively. I'm working on slowing it down a bit for marathon goal pace training! I promise I really am Coach Joe.

I would have to say the first three days have gone pretty smoothly.  We shall see what the rest of the week brings.  I know one thing for sure, Sunday morning will bring my first long run of the training cycle with some great friends!  Looking forward to it Mellisa and Deb! 
Mellisa, Deb and I during our final long run prior to the Cleveland Marathon
Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

1 comment:

  1. Woohooo! Yay for marathon training! And yay for the Columbus Marathon - it was my first back in 2009!

    ReplyDelete