Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Megan

This week's spotlight is on Megan of Girls Go Running (here). You may remember seeing the same blog last week. The reason for this is because Megan is Elizabeth's daughter and Elizabeth and her two daughters all share their story on their group blog. After you read Megan's interview head on over and say hello!










Jodi: How long have you been running?
Megan: I started running 16 years ago. My mom started running, and I joined in.

Jodi: Why did you start running?
Megan: As the youngest of three, when my older brother and sister were gone working at summer camp, I needed something to do when they were gone.

Jodi: How many years have you been racing?
Megan: If I'm recalling accurately, I ran my first race when I was 14 or 15. I had never run more than maybe 4 miles, and signed up for a local 10K. I've had many years that I haven't raced at all.

Jodi: What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Megan: I don't know that I have a favorite distance yet. I've done a 5K, a couple of 10Ks, a 12K, and a marathon. I love that I can say I've done the marathon, but I guess the 10K is currently my favorite. I would like to do at least one half marathon though because they seem like the perfect balance of a challenge with less hours of training than the marathon. I'm hoping to get some on my schedule after the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon in May.

Jodi: What is your favorite race memory?
Megan: My favorite race memory is my aunt, who is 19 year older than my mom, running along with us for about a block of the marathon my mom and I were running to raise money for her son who was battling cancer. She was cheering us on, and it is a powerful memory from a great day! She was our biggest fan and support during training, and she continues to be a tremendous cheerleader for us as we train for the second marathon. I also found my dad's support of both my mom and I, but particularly my mom, a great memory! I'm not sure who gets more of a runners high...my mom from actually running or my dad because he loves that my mom runs!

Jodi: What is your least favorite race memory?
Megan: Mile 18 of last year's marathon. It was around mile 18 that I bonked. My sister and my cousin's husband (a previous Boston qualifier) ran several miles with us. When my sister joined us, she gave my mom a good boost of energy, and I had nothing left. I remember thinking that eight miles was a lot, and I didn't know how I was going to keep moving forward. Thankfully, my energy picked back up a bit, and although tired, I felt much better about mile 22 or 24.

Jodi: What is your proudest running moment to date?
Megan: Crossing the finish line at the Fargo Marathon with my mom last May. I wanted to complete a marathon before I turned 30, and I did it! My mom and I had such great support! Our running group, my dad, my sister, my aunt, etc.. My boyfriend was also a huge part of accomplishing this goal. Seeing him, my dad, my aunt, my sister, and other friends and family along the route made the race and the finish incredible!
 Jodi: What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?


Megan: Probably my Garmin Forerunner and my Asics Gel Nimbus shoes. I've trained in other shoes, and the Gel Nimbus is the best! If it's a long run, I'd say good company, which for me means my mom's running with me.

Jodi: What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Megan: For my first marathon, I used Luna Moons, but the thought of them now makes me almost sick. I'm trying different types of fuel for marathon number two, and so far, my favorite is the Honey Stinger waffle. I also find that the sports drink on the course is crucial for me. So, whatever flavor they have for a race is my other favorite.

Jodi: What is your favorite post race snack?
Megan: My favorite thing after a race is chocolate milk, preferably Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk. I thought it was strange that people liked milk, chocolate or not, after a run, but it's great! Pizza is a close second.

Jodi: Who do you admire most and why?
Megan: I most admire my maternal grandparents, Ted and Marie. Both overcame a lot of challenging circumstances in their lifetimes, and they worked hard and were successful. They were also strong advocates of education, and as a college instructor, I see the value in their beliefs. They both had grit and determination, and they always worked hard to reach their goals and never gave up.

Jodi: Do you have a favorite quote?
Megan: 1. "This too shall pass." and 2. "Work hard and it will come easy." The first was one my grandma liked. It's so true of running. A great run may be fleeting, but a tough run or a"bonk" in a marathon are too. You just have to keep pushing forward. The second quote was one my grandpa told me often when we'd leave from visiting him. And again, it fits well with running. Often on a run, the harder I work the faster the miles go and the easier it seems.

Jodi: Finish this statement, when I run I feel___________.
Megan: relieved to be finishing another run on the training plan.

Jodi: What is your current goal?
Megan: My current goal is the run a marathon with both my mom and sister. My sister couldn't run with us during our first marathon because she had a beautiful little girl just weeks before the event. We chose a training plan with more miles. I was happy just to finish my first marathon, and I'll be happy to finish a second as well. But, I'd like to see a better time that confirms all the training paid off.

Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Megan!

Enjoy every minute of your marathon with your mom and sister! Looking forward to the possibility of meeting you at Cleveland!

Of course no Thumbs Up Thursday is complete without pictures!  Enjoy!! 
Megan with her mom and sister at a Mother's Day 5K


Megan at the Fargo Marathon Expo


Megan and her boyfriend after the Fargo Marathon


Keep running, you're simply the best, and Megan YOU inspire ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment