Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Final Countdown!!

7 days and counting until I toe the start line at the Cleveland Marathon! Today was my last long run prior to next Sunday's race. Aside from the wind, I felt pretty good today and managed to maintain a 9:03/mile pace during my run today. I am officially in taper mode. I will be running minimal mileage the rest of the week. It is my goal to go into the marathon next weekend with a fresh pair of legs, a clear mind, and a rested body. Seven months ago, while driving home from a PR performance at the Columbus 1/2 Marathon (1:54:14) with my running buddies Deb and Marilyn, I toyed with the idea of running a full marathon. By the time we got home from Columbus, Deb and Marilyn had almost convinced me to go for it. Prior to this conversation, Deb had decided she wanted to form a team for the Cleveland Marathon in honor of her ten year tumor free milestone. I do remember saying that maybe I would just try and improve on my 1/2 marathon time at Cleveland. I am pretty sure Deb shot back with an if I can run 13.1 miles, you can certainly 26.2. And so the challenge was on the table and the training began! I have to thank Deb for the countless times she took care of my children so I could get my training runs in! I also need to thank Deb and Marilyn for joining me at several different races during my 18 weeks of training. And a special thanks to "cuz" Michele for running two 1/2 marathons and a 22.2 mile training run with me!

On Sunday, May 16th I will be running for Deb. No matter what the clock says when I come to the end of my 26.2 mile journey, I will have won the greatest gift of all....the continued friendship of an amazing woman. Thank you Deb for your friendship, love, and support. I love you Deb and I am so proud of you!!

The motto for next week:
Curing Chordoma...
one mile at a time
Deb's our survivor
10 years tumor free


Deb and Marilyn

Deb and I
Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

3 comments:

  1. Eeeekkk, so excited for you! You've put in the work, now is time to do YOUR thing! You're awesome- go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend! Sounds like the hard part is done. Take it easy this week and don't stress! You're gonna do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you too! You are going to do great, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete