Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Demar 1/2 Marathon Race Report

I figured I better get to writing my race report from our New Hampshire half since I'm sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to California.  We will be crossing California off our list of 50 states on Sunday morning.  Did I mention we completed New Hampshire back in September?  I'm clearly the queen of  procrastination these days!  Our friend, Marilyn, joined us for this half marathon.  We took advantage of the close proximity of New Hampshire to Massachusetts and flew into Boston.  Lucky for us, Marilyn lives in Massachusetts so we stayed with her the first two nights of our trip.  We went into Boston to sight see on Friday.  The weather wasn't the best but we still had a great time.



Saturday morning we did a little shopping and had lunch in Marblehead.  Once we were done in Marblehead we took to the car and made our way to New Hampshire.  We checked into our hotel, stopped by the expo to pick up our race packets, and had a lovely dinner and of course a few drinks.





Sunday morning we got ready and headed to the race start.


The weather forecast was HOT,HOT, HOT so we decided to walk the race for safety purposes.  Deb, Marilyn, Nikki and I stayed together until about the 12 mile mark at which point Deb and I went ahead a bit.  At the 12.5 mile mark, Deb asked me what my watch said.  I looked at my watch, and told her what it said.  She asked if I wanted to run the rest of the way and I said sure.  I can tell you we did not run the rest of the way however at the 13 mile mark Deb asked me what my watch said again and I told her.  She simply said "run" so I did.  We crossed the line and Deb asked me one last time what my watch said.  Our finish time was 3:49:50.  She said "oh good, I wanted to finish under 3:50".  Originally she was hoping for a 3:45 finish but with the heat and a longer than usual bathroom stop, it wasn't really in the cards. 


Marilyn and Nikki finished shortly after us and we all stopped for a picture and then headed back to the car.





We grabbed showers and a bite to eat and headed back to Massachusetts so Deb, Nikki, and I could catch our flights home.








Complete a half in all 50 states status: 19 states and D.C. completed


Completed states: Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.


Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment