Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thumbs Up Thursday......Zaneta

This week's spotlight is on Zaneta at Runner's Luck. Zaneta just recently ran her first half marathon! Head on over to her blog after you read all about her and say hello!



Jodi: How long have you been running?
Zaneta: I've been running pretty much since I remember. I was very active growing up and running was always a part of any sport I participated in.

Jodi: Why did you start running?
Zaneta: I started running because it was a part of conditioning for basketball... I kind of hated basketball conditioning lol. Then after my four years of college eligibility of basketball and softball were over i focused on classes only and got really out of shape so I decided to run again and signed up for my first 5k to keep me running!

Jodi: How many years have you been racing?
Zaneta: I just started racing in April of this year! (2010)

Jodi: What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Zaneta: I love racing 5ks because it's only a short distance and you can push as hard as you can for 30 minutes, then forget about it! BUT! This past September I ran my first half marathon and instantly fell in love! :D It takes dedication and heart to run for 13.1 miles.... I can only imagine what a FULL marathon would be like! In the end you feel so accomplished!

Jodi: What is your favorite race memory?
Zaneta: Definitely my first half marathon in September! My parents and I made a mini vacation of the entire weekend in Nashville, Tennessee and the race was so emotional for me for many reasons! I'm so glad I got to share my first half marathon experience with my parents!

Zaneta's first 1/2 marathon

Jodi: What is your least favorite race memory?
Zaneta: Haha! I would say the Run for Independence 5k that I did. It started out terribly because I woke up late and got to the park to pick up my bib about 6 minutes before the gun went off! I felt sick the entire 3.1 miles and the newspaper captured a picture of me that would tell anybody that I was tired and nauseated! Needless to say after running across the finish line I kept running until I found a portapot!

Run for Independence 5K

Jodi: What is your proudest running moment to date?
Zaneta: I would have to say that my proudest running moment to date is the festival 5k I ran right after I decided I wanted to get faster. I had done some speedwork (if you want to call it that) on my own and was so excited when I beat my PR by almost 2 minutes! I immediately called my boyfriend and told him and he told me he was so proud of me... I was proud of myself! After that race I knew that I could do whatever I wanted to do with my running if I just put my mind to it!

Zaneta's family/support staff

Jodi: What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Zaneta: My ipod!! Seriously, I dont even remember over half the songs that play while I'm running and I'm not sure I really listen but something about having my Ipod with me helps me get through the tough ones!

Jodi: What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Zaneta: I love me some GU! Also I was introduced to eating oranges during a race at my first half marathon... surprisingly i liked it!

Jodi: What is your favorite post race snack?
Zaneta: Chocolate milk and a banana!!

Jodi: Who do you admire most and why?
Zaneta: I admire my grandma so much! She was my best friend growing up! She always had a smile on her face and was the kindest person I've ever met! Even though she had both legs amputated and both her hands crippled up by arthritis and eventually a mind that stopped working properly... she always was smiling and praying and she really left a legacy behind! I just wish she was still around to share my big milestones with!

Jodi: Do you have a favorite quote?
Zaneta: I know that this may be strange cuz who doesn't have a favorite quote?! But seriously.. I dont really have a favorite! Although, I do love this verse! Isaiah 40:31 -
But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.


Jodi: Finish this statement, when I run I feel ___________.
Zaneta: Renewed and elated!

Jodi: What is your current goal?
Zaneta: Now that I ran my first half marathon, I have a goal of finishing a FULL marathon!! I have a race picked out for 2011 but haven't shared that yet! :D

Jodi: Please feel free to add anything else you feel will help others lace up their shoes and get out there and run!!
Zaneta: If you are someone who is scared to try something new and doesn't want to run because you're afraid of what others might think of you... "too slow/fast" "too big/too skinny" "too tall/short" ... Don't do it for other people! Get out and run for yourself and forget about what others might think! Being in shape makes you feel so much better! Not only physically, but mentally too! Since I've started running, a lot of my self doubt has faded away and the negative body image I had of myself... it's almost completely gone! YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!!! No matter what you may think! :D

Zaneta's favorite running picture

Thank you again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Zaneta. Best of luck in achieving your goal of running a full marathon! Please let us know which marathon you have picked out when you decide it is time to reveal your plan!!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and Zaneta YOU inspire ME!!







2 comments:

  1. Thank Jodi! :D I feel so honored to be a part of your thumbs up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Zaneta!! I love reading your blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete