Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Kerstetter 5K Race Report

In March of 2010 Elyria Police Officer James Kerstetter was shot and killed in the line of duty.  Each year since 2010, there has been a 5k run in his memory.  The race takes place in downtown Elyria near the police station and you finish on Kerstetter Way (the road was renamed to honor James' memory).  I have run the race three of the four years it has taken place.  We were on a family vacation in 2011 so I was not able to participate.  For the last two years I have participated with the Lorain County Blue Foundation Team.  This past Saturday I met up with my fellow team members to honor Officer Kerstetter and all other fallen officers. 
Source

We had some pictures taken before the race and talked about our goals.  I mentioned that I seem to be struggling to run fast ever since I turned 40.  I decided that I would be happy if I finished in 25 minutes or so.
Lorain County Blue Foundation

Stonebridge Girls

I started in the back with my team which was a nice change of pace from starting closer to the front.  I went out too fast as I always seem to do in shorter races.  I was definitely working for the miles.  Right around mile 2, my neighbor Chris passed me and told me to come with him.  I may have told him that I was too old for this sh*t.  He quickly reminded me that he was just slightly younger than me.  In the end I couldn't catch him to save my life.  I did manage to have a kick at the end in spite of the fact that I slowed down each mile and finished in 25:57.  I definitely cut it close with my goal of being in the 25's.  Of course I was not happy that Chris beat me as this was the first time he had done so in a race.  My running friends reminded me that I had said I would be happy to run in the 25's and I had done that so I should be smiling.  I was actually surprised to learn that I had finished 1st in the 40-44 age group.  This was my first win in my new age group as I turned 40 in May.

Receiving my award


1st place 40-44

Couldn't catch Chris but I still won my age group!

I really enjoy this race and I'm looking forward to running it again next year!

Keep running, you're simply the best, and you inspire me!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on winning your age group, and it's great that you did it during a race for such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete