Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursday...Nell

This week's spotlight is on Nell.  Once you read her interview head on over to dailymile and check out her training (here).

Jodi:  How long have you been running?
Nell:  It will be two years in October.


Jodi:  Why did you start running?
Nell:  Because I had been working out for a while and my boyfriend was a runner and introduced me to it - was ready for the challenge.

Jodi:  How many years have you been racing?
Nell:  Approximately a year and a half - my very first race was the Corktown in Detroit in 2010.

Jodi:  What is your favorite distance to race and why?
Nell:  My favorite distance race would probably be the half marathon. Long enough to make you feel it, but not as daunting a task as a full.

Jodi:  What is your favorite race memory?
Nell:  My favorite race memory would probably be my first 10-miler at the Crim last summer - couldn't believe I actually made it and felt great afterwards, plus I was given two free beers after that race. Good day!!

Jodi:  What is your least favorite race memory?
Nell:  When my ITB went out 23 miles into my full marathon and I had to walk the last three - the mental pain was worse than the physical.

Jodi:  What is your proudest running moment to date?
Nell:  Finishing the marathon even though I had to limp the last three miles.

Jodi:  What one item do you absolutely have to have with you on a training run?
Nell:  That's a tossup between my Ipod and hydration.

Jodi:  What is your favorite fuel during a race?
Nell:  GU (chocolate, to be exact).

Jodi:  What is your favorite post race snack?
Nell:  Any kind of breakfast pretty much. I also love cold watermelon after a hot race.

Jodi:  Do you have a favorite quote?
Nell:  "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right". Henry Ford

Jodi:  Finish this statement: When I run a feel ________.
Nell:  empowered.

Jodi:  Who do you admire most and why?
Nell:  My boyfriend, Dave, because he took himself from an overweight couch potato to an Ironman/ultra runner.

Jodi:  What is your current goal?
Nell:  Finish another full marathon, but without having to walk the last three miles. Hopefully this will be in the beginning of November.

Jodi:  Please feel free to add anything that will motivate others to lace up their shoes and get out there and run!
Nell:  I never imagined myself a runner. I have bad knees (broke both kneecaps in a car accident as a child), bad back (twin pregnancy) and a plethora of other aches and pains. Never say never, folks. Once I started running and kept at it, I realized that my body is capable of far more than I give it credit for, and the activity actually helps with my aches and pains. It's such a feeling of accomplishment to run and you ALWAYS feel better after having done it. I have never regretted a run, but have regretted NOT going on a run. Also, it's so cleansing mentally - if you have something bothering you, a run will surely help you deal with it. And, like everyone says, the "runner's high" is such a fabulous feeling - it's like a burst of energy and happiness all at the same time after you've just pushed your body to the limits, almost a euphoric feeling.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your blog, Jodi! :o) RUN HAPPY!!!

No Thumbs Up Thursday is complete with out pictures!!







Thanks again for the opportunity to give you a Thumbs Up Nell!  Best of luck achieving your current goals!

Keep runnning, you're simply the best, and Nell YOU inspire ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment